horiz sign up

For your complementary copy of the new eBook

"Playing by the Rules Didn't Work"

PLUS receive our FREE newsletter.   Enter your email below.

Empire Waist Dresses are Wonderful

Not too long ago I discovered the style and comfort of the empire waist dress and top.
My waist no longer goes in much from my hips and dresses that have a waistline highlight that fact. Dresses that go in just under the bust and gently drop from there, do a great job of shaping the dress without screaming “she's not skinny anymore!”

I just discovered this style because for most of my life I avoided it. When I got married the first time in my late 20s, I put on a few pounds. I'd gone from playing racketball several times a week to staying home watching TV as a married couple. About 6 months after the wedding, we decided to move out of state.
One of my coworkers at the job I was leaving asked if I was going to work after the move.
Puzzled, I asked him why.
His response was: “Well, you have been putting on weight lately...”
He thought I was pregnant! At that point in my life, thoughts of having children were not on the radar.
His comment affected my work wardrobe for years, decades even.

Being a woman in a predominately man's profession, I was always afraid that if someone got the impression I might be pregnant that I wouldn't get the good project or the promotion.
So for years, I dressed to highlight the fact that I had a waistline thinking that if I was careful to control my image and did really well on my work, I would be rewarded.

It took me many years to figure out that men at work will think what they want regardless of what a woman wears and that hard work is not always rewarded in a male dominated field.

So now my career wardrobe contains deep V-necks, skirts a few inches above my knee and empire waists. Though still work appropriate attire, I look good and feel great  in these styles. Now I dress for me!


Here's a dress I've got my eye on for summer. It's from JCPenney and would be perfect with a black or fushia sweater to ward off the air conditioner breezes.



Attention Editors, Publishers, Marketers, Bloggers and Webmasters!
You can republish your favorite Creative Boomer articles without charge. Leverage our powerful content on your website or blog! Republishing our articles is simple. You must include attribution of the author(s) and the following short paragraph, in the same font size and visibility as the article: "This article appears courtesy of Creative Boomer", linking Creative Boomer name to this website.
Unless a guest expert is mentioned, the author is Ann Tucker.